The MCC Athletics Blog

Officially the "unofficial" MCC Athletic Blog; created for all Eagle fans- so that they can keep tabs of their favorite JuCo team.

Google
 
Web www.mcceagles.blogspot.com

Friday

Pitching In: MLB ace Lee returns to MCC for ‘Meet the Eagles’ banquet, retiring of number


By Jamie Wachter / Sports Editor
The Meridian Star
Fri Jan 21, 2011


(MERIDIAN) - The long wait is over.

Twelve years after completing his Meridian Community College career, Cliff Lee is making the long overdue return to the Queen City on Monday. Lee and former Mississippi State coach Ron Polk headline the "Meet the Eagles" Banquet, which begins at 7 p.m. at Kahlmus Auditorium on the Mississippi State-Meridian campus. Lee will also have an autograph session at Webb Hall from 4-5 p.m.

"It's definitely going to bring back some old memories," Lee said. "To see Chris Curry and some of the former players and coaches, it's going to be fun.

"I'm going to get a chance to see some old friends and the park and the locker room. Like I said, it's going to bring back some memories. That was the most fun I ever had playing and I enjoyed every minute of it."

Curry, a teammate of Lee's with the Eagles, will start his tenure as MCC head coach Jan. 28 against Gulf Coast Community College in Panama City, Fla. Before his Eagles get started, though, he first is honoring the MCC tradition. In addition to him coming back, MCC is retiring Lee's number.

And the 6-foot-3 left-hander admitted that fact was a big incentive to make sure he found his way back to Meridian.

"I felt like it was such an honor and a privilege to have your number retired," he said. "Plus, I felt like it was probably time to show my face there again. Past time, actually.

"It's crazy how much time you think you have in an offseason and then when you get into it, it's just so hard to get away."

And Lee is no stranger to crazy offseasons. After being traded to Texas last July, he helped lead the Rangers to the World Series and then was at the middle of a free-agent frenzy between the Rangers, New York Yankees and Philadelphia Phillies. Last month he decided to return to the Phillies, a team he helped pitch to the World Series in 2009 after being picked up midseason.

"It really wasn't that much pressure," Lee said. "I could have chosen any one of them and been OK. It was really a win, win, win situation. There wasn't a wrong decision to be made.

"I just sat back and looked where I felt I could win a World Series, multiple World Series titles really, and I felt that the Phillies were that team."

It also helped Lee in making his decision that he did spend the second half of the 2009 season in Philadelphia, and that his family enjoyed their time spent in the City of Brotherly Love. As did the moves the Phillies have made since trading Lee to Seattle last winter.

"My family had input there as well, where they would be happiest," he added. "It was a tough decision with Texas last year and where I know that franchise is going. But the Phillies rotation with Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels, myself, Joe Blanton. Those are five of the best pitchers in baseball and while we haven't accomplished anything yet, we could be one the best rotations in history."

Getting to that level started at MCC. Under the tutelage of Scott Berry and Kelly Osburn, Lee credits his time with the Eagles for instilling the traits that have led him to his major league success. In his nine-year career, Lee is 102-61 with a 3.85 ERA. He won the American League Cy Young in 2008 when he won 22 games with a 2.54 ERA.

And he's been even better in the postseason. In his two trips to the playoffs, he's 7-2 with a 2.13 ERA in 10 starts with three complete games.

"They instilled the work ethic that helped me be able to play like I am today," Lee added. "Coach Berry and coach Osburn turned me into the pitcher I am.

"I always have had confidence in myself and I decided at a young age that this is what I wanted to do, and I basically put all the eggs in that one basket. Now, I don't know that I ever expected to reach the level of success that I have achieved, but I did expect to get to the major leagues."

And now he's giving back to the place where it all began. And in the process, helping build on the nest for the future Eagles.

"I'm glad I got to be a part of it," Lee said. "I'm proud to say I played baseball there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home