The MCC Athletics Blog

Officially the "unofficial" MCC Athletic Blog; created for all Eagle fans- so that they can keep tabs of their favorite JuCo team.

Google
 
Web www.mcceagles.blogspot.com

Wednesday

MCC soccer coach, Alex George, stays with program


Reversing one's field is a common maneuver in athletics, and Meridian Community College Soccer Coach Alex George has done just that, deciding to remain at MCC rather than returning to West Lauderdale. George had announced last month that he would be returning to the high school where he coached a state championship team, but after thinking about his decision over the past few weeks, he decided that remaining on the college level was his best career option.

"I have some excellent players coming back next year in both our men's and women's programs at MCC, and I felt like I made a commitment not only to those players, but also to the freshmen I'd recruited," George said.

"I'm very optismistic about about next season, and I decided that I wanted to be a part of it."

George, who started MCC's women's soccer program, said another major part of his decision had to do with long-term career goals.

"I have always considered myself a social sciences teacher first and a coach second," George said.

"I really enjoy teaching on the community college level, and one day down the road, I feel cartain that I'll transition into a full-time teaching position. But for right now, I've still got some goals yet to be reached with our soccer program. So, at MCC I'm enjoying the best of both worlds. I am very gratified over both my teaching and coaching roles."

George said he apologized for any inconvenience his change of course may cause WLHS officials, but that "ultimately my wife and I felt that this was the best decision for our family."

Dr. Scott Elliott, MCC president, said he was happy to rescind George's resignation.

"Alex is a quality individual," Dr. Elliott said.

"I was saddened to accept his resignation some weeks ago, and I'm happy to rescind it now. Our search for a new soccer coach officially ended today. Alex's decision to stay will obviously solidify our program because our returning sophomores will get to continue to play for their old coach, and our incoming freshmen will get ot play for the coach who recruited them. That's all for the best, in my view."

George has had some solid seasons as MCC coach. His 2003 men's team posted a 16-1-1 record. However, the Eagles and Lady Eagles are still looking for their first MACJC state championships.

"The MCJC is a tough league with a lot of parity," George said.

"It's difficult for any college to dominate, but I still believe that we can produce some special teams here at MCC over the years and win a state title. I was part of a state championship program at West Lauderdale, and I would love to be a part of one at MCC, too."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home